Thursday, September 3, 2015

Dafa tang jër ci Senegal!


Dafa tang jër ci Senegal!
(Its too/so hot in Senegal)

Senegal is the first place I experienced leg sweat, I didn’t know that was a thing. 
My legs were literally dripped sweat, and all I was doing was standing on a bus. 
It’s really hot, all the time – with little to no escape from the heat.  
 #StillBetterThanSnow #IdRatherMeltThanFreeze

The Cornish at sunset, about 1.5km from my house
Transportation à Dakar

One of the first things I noticed about Dakar was the abundance and assortment of shared transportation options! We were all advised to take taxis, which are what you would image: yellow and black, clearly marked cars that drive around and take you from point A to point B. However, they are relatively expensive when compared to other forms of transport and especially when you are on a budget. They range from 500cfa (if you can get the good price) to 3,000cfa ($1- $6) depending on the distance and time of day, and if its raining or not. They told us this would be the safest. But lets be real, only risk takers have fun!

The government owned public transportation is called “Dakar Dem Dikk” – meaning in Wolof – Dakar go and return/come back. They are one solid color, usually greenish and off-white and have a large number and location displayed on a digital sign on the front and back of them. I don’t know the maximum price you can pay on one of these, but prices start at 100cfa and I would imagine no more than 300cfa (20 cents-60 cents). 
Dakar Dem Dikk

Ticket for DDD
 Tatas are also large buses but they are privately owned and not as crowded nor as fast as the Dakar Dem Dikk, or so I’m told. They are white with blue stripes, have numbers displayed on the passenger side of the front window.
Tatas
Ticket for the tatas
Kar Rapids = Literally means fast car - extremely colorful small mini buses that are another form of private transport. These ones are the most fun! The money collector, apparanti bi, literally hangs off the back of the vehicle and has various tapping codes to communicate with the drive, when to stop to let someone off, when to go, etc. These are sometimes packed and you will have to stand and hold onto a bar that runs across the top. This is what I take most often (every day to and from school) and also the cheapest ranging from 50cfa to 200cfa (10 cents – 40 cents). They are also very difficult because you don’t know where each car is going so you have to ask before you get on. The first time I took one, the apparanti bi didn’t speak French, only Wolof, which made me realized ever more how imperative it was to learn Wolof.


Kar Rapid
Ndiaga ndiaye = I may be spelling this wrong as its hard for me to understand exactly what people call this mode of transport. I’m sure it’s Wolof but I have yet to learn its meaning. This private transport is in the form of small mini similar to the kar rapids but buses usually/mostly white and larger. I have only used this once and am still learning how the routes work.

Ndiaga-ndiaye
Clandos, short for clandestine, are privately owned and unmarked cars in certain neighborhoods that are more-or-less like shared taxis. Sometimes they depart from a “clando park” to a certain destination and wait to fill up before they leave, other times you just wait on the side of the street for one to pass by and jump in. These are not found in every neighborhood and I’m still trying to understand where I can and cannot find them.

-The good: There are designated routes for these modes of transportation, for the most part.
-The bad: There are no flyers or pamphlets or an online website you can look at to learn or check the routes – you just ask people.
-The ugly: I’ve gotten on the wrong Dakar dem dikk and when I realized it was going the wrong way, I pretty much jumped off while it was still moving because I didn’t want to go on the highway. But it wasn’t going too fast, don’t worry.

Këru Seck (The Seck House)

I have been with my host family for nearly three weeks and have loved every moment of it. I am living in near the ‘deuxième port de Mermoz” with a large family bearing the last name Seck. I will explain the significance of this last name (and others) in another post. Cousinage is of the utmost importance here in Senegal. You’re name is everything.

Mag, Nox, Samba and a neighborhood friend.
The bracelet on the top was my welcoming gift from the kids when I first arrived.

Worn out after playing all afternoon
As with most African families, the extended family is treated as the nuclear family and deciphering between who is a cousin and who is a brother is not only difficult but also unnecessary as they are one in the same. Those living in the two story house include my host mom (aka yaay) and dad (aka pappa or baay), their son Cheikh, his wife Jorr their two daughters Nox and Mag (pretty sure these are nick-names), a daughter Bijoux and her son Samba who are just on vacation for a month from Italy where they live and Amadou a grandson who is a couple years younger than me and on vacation from school. There is also a live-in domestic helper named Haddi – I’m not sure if she is related or not to the family but she is here all the time and usually does most of the cleaning and cooking. She looks about my age but probably younger.

As expected, my family is Muslim (94% of Senegalese of Muslim) and they are wonderful! Whenever I’m here, Papa goes to pray at the mosque 5 times a day while yaay prays at home. Cheikh and Jorr are both teachers and I believe Cheikh may even be a professor. 

Getting ready for lunch at the beach

-The good: This family is absolutely wonderful! They are the perfect combination of caring and interested while also making sure I have the space I need to recharge the introvert in me. They don’t speak any English – so it’s only French and Wolof!
-The bad: At first I was thrilled to be in a Wolof speaking household, but now I realized that I don’t understand a thing and unless they address me in French so it’s hard to just “hang out” and profit from being around French.
-The ridiculous: I didn’t meet Amadou until I had lived there for about a week – he is rarely around. One day the whole family went to the beach and he was there, we started chatting and asked him if he lived here in Dakar – he had this dumbfounded look on his face – which was when I realized he lived at the same house I did I just never saw him! We laughed about it.   

The "courtyard" in my house. It started to rain so the kids started playing in the puddles that collected.
Lekk yu Senegalese (Senegalese food)

I have two exceptionally fond memories of my first time in Senegal:
The first was the food, lekk bi and the second was the tea, ataaya bi.

Like in many places, Senegal has three major meals: Ndekki (breakfast), Añ (lunch) and Réér (dinner). Ndekki usually consists of a hot beverage like Nescafé and a baguette with chocolate spread inside. Añ is the bigger meal of the day and is usually served after noon, between 1-3pm. People will usually snack sometime in the late afternoon/early evening, maybe eating left over lunch or something else and then have their final meal, réér after evening prays around 9pm but sometimes as late as 10pm.

Traditionally, everyone eats with their hands (right hand only!*) from the same bowl on or near the ground. The “mother” or the person who cooked the meal or the women “in charge” has a big responsibility to make sure the bowl does spin/move (she does this by placing her pointer finger of her left hand on the bowl so it doesn’t move), and that everyone’s eating space is kept full of food (you only eat what is in front of you, don’t dig into other people’s spaces). Often times the meat/chicken/fish is located in the center of the bowl and the woman in charge will distribute it as the meal goes along. Its her job to make sure that everyone is full as well so even when you are done eating and you tell them “Suur naa!” (I'm full) they will continue to convince you to eat. “Lekkal! Lekkal!” (Eat! Eat!). Finally when you cant take it anymore you will say “Dama suur” which also means “I’m full” but there is more emphasis put on being full; this is usually when they will allow you to stop eating.

Traditional dishes I’ve tried so far:
Cebu jen (The national dish of Senegal - a spicy-ish stuffed fish simmered with vegetables – usually over rice)
Cebu ganaar (Same as above but with chicken)
Maafe (chicken or meat stew in a peanut butter sauce with vegetables – usually over rice)
Yassa (chicken or fish marinated in lemon/lime juice with caramelized onions – usually over rice)
Mbaxal (smoked and salted fish with groundnuts, some form of beans and other veggies with rice)
And many other meal sauces over rice or couscous - these may or may not have specific names, I’m not sure at the moment.


Now I just need to learn how to togg, or cook.

*The left hand is considered unholy and dirty in Senegalese culture. It is used when going to the bathroom and never used to give/receive things or to eat. EVER!

-The good: I haven’t tried anything I don’t like. Lepp naa lekk! (I eat everything!)
-The bad: 9pm or 10pm is super late for me to eat and I have a really hard time digesting food after that. I always wake up with a rock in my belly…hoping to adjust soon!
-The funny: My family usually makes the same thing for dinner: a bit of lettuce covered in French fries and meat, chicken or fish with a big loaf of white bread for each of us.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soumbedioune: Largest fish market in Dakar


Samay kalaas ci WARC (My classes at WARC)

My schedule here at the West African Research Center (WARC) is packed and I feel like I’m back in high school. I go to school Monday – Friday from 9am-4pm and have an hour-long conversation with our Senegalese partners right after class. Except for Wednesdays, we thankfully have a half-day. I am taking: French Grammar, Francophone African Literature, Country Analysis and Translation and Wolof.

-The good: So much class time! Lots of ups and downs but the classes are terrific!
-The bad: Because we have two levels of French – we have to split the class in two so instead of having our grammar class 13 hours a week we only have it for 7 hours a week and have “free time” in lieu of where we were supposed to have the other classes.
-The sad: Sometimes I feel like my French is getting worse. I am also torn every night between studying French or Wolof.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very important phrases that can be said nearly every other sentence:

1.     Alhamdulillah or santé yalla (Arabic/Wolof) – meaning “Thanks to God” or “Thanks be to God”

2.     Inshallah (Arabic) – meaning “God willing”

You can literally insert one of these two phrases in just about ever sentence you make. If you are talking about the present, for example Lekk bi neex na (The food is great) or Jamm rekk (There is only peace) – You insert alhamdulillah or santé yalla at the end – you can even say this after a person says something in the present.

On the contrary, if you talk about events that haven’t happened yet you say inshallah. For example, Ba beneen yoon, inshallah – (See you next time, God willing) or dinnaa degg Wolof, inshallah -  (I will understand Wolof, God willing).

Also other good ones:
Mangiy/Yaangiy/Nungiy ci yoxo yalla! – I/You/We am/are in the hands of God.
Yalla rekk a xam! - Only God knows

People just love when you reference Allah.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tabaski, also known as Eid al-Adha meaning "Festival of the sacrifice", is just around the corner so I will hopefully have an update before then. This is arguably the biggest, most celebrated and most anticipated holiday of the year in Senegal and many Islamic countries. Think American’s doing Christmas. It is talked about and prepared for weeks and months in advanced, money is saved up and sheep are plentiful. Yes, sheep. 

For Tabaski, all families are to buy and slaughter a sheep to symbolize and honor the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his promised/given son (Ismail) as an act of submission to Allah's command. In the end he didn’t sacrifice his son because his son turned into a ram at the moment of sacrifice. The meat from the sacrificed goat is then divided into three parts; the family keeps 1/3, another ½ is given to friends/family and the last 1/3 is given to the poor. It’s a really beautiful tradition and I’m exited to be here for it. Last time I was in Senegal it was the weeks before Tabaski so I ended up celebrating in Mali with a group of travelers.


I’ve also finished my Senegal Bucket List for 2015-2017!! I have a lot to do in the next 17 months, lets hope I can accomplish it all! Also, it’s a working document so if you know of anything else I should add just tell me; I’m open to ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment